Friday, July 16, 2010

Homecoming



After a long and hot 21 hour drive through high plains, mountains, fields, and prairie, I arrived home this morning after six months of absence.

As the canyon spit me out of my beautiful Wasatch mountains, Salt Lake valley appeared before me.  The city spread out to the west, almost grasping the foothills of the Oquirrhs. The city eagerly sat, as if waiting for my arrival. The sunlight glinted of the buildings and cars, making Salt Lake shine. The smog desperately tried to cloak the beauty of the valley but it failed; smog was present but the mountains still boldly stood. The sky was clear of clouds and blue - bluer than dear Minnesota's - and the sun beat down, successfully reaching 103 degrees today.

And I was so happy. So happy. Even though my back was sore from driving, even though I missed my boyfriend, even though I had only eaten candy for breakfast and was starving, I was completely joyful. I couldn't stop smiling. While driving the familiar streets, the familiar neighborhoods, I rolled down the windows and listened to my favorite radio stations. I took my time driving home and obeyed the speed limit which I had neglected the whole way to Utah.

This was the exit I took to get home after exhilarating days of snowboarding. There is where I ate some damn good pizza with a love once. Here is where I bought all my groceries. There is where I had many birthday meals. Over there is where my childhood friend lives. And on and on and on, I remembered and smiled at the familiar places and memories.

There is nothing like homecoming, and there is no place like home.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there with you. I can't wait to drive back to Minnesota with you after camping though! Have fun with all the people you have missed! I love you honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh, I love you! You're a beautiful writer. I love how you just painted a story for me and I felt as though I were you or right with you for a moment. And I love how you didn't obey the speed law except while in Utah! Funny thing, I just wrote a blog post about coming home BEFORE I even read your post about coming home.

    ReplyDelete